Creating and charging subscriptions
The Salesforce NPSP models subscriptions in form of a standard object called a "Recurring Payment". A RaiseNow subscription corresponds with this Salesforce object. The Objects that are addressed when creating a recurring payment in Salesforce are:
When creating the object via API based on a RaiseNow subscription, the following information will be passed to the recurring donation object in Salesforce after creating the contact (see above):
- Name - The RaiseNow subscription token
- Amount in the super unit of the given currency, e.g. EUR
- The recurring donation object will have an Open Ended Status
- The recurring donation object may link to a Salesforce campaign (optional) by passing the Campaign ID with the transaction.
- Installment period: Will be set according to the settings of the RaiseNow subscription. Supported by both RaiseNow and Salesforce are "Monthly, Quarterly, Yearly"
- RaiseNow will identify the next open opportunity for the recurring donation object
- RaiseNow will create a payment object for that opportunity. The payment will be marked as "Paid" and reference the RaiseNow transaction identifier
- The opportunity will be updated to "Closed / Won"
See this example of a recurring donation where the first opportunity has already been updated as the corresponding RaiseNow subscription has been charged once.
Details of the updated opportunity:
And the corresponding payment:
A RaiseNow subscription may be cancelled in the following ways:
- The donor can cancel their subscription
- The RaiseNow merchant administrator can cancel the subscription through the RaiseNow manager interface
- A Salesforce user can mark the NPSP Recurring Donation object as Closed
- A Salesforce user can click the "Cancel Subscription" button on theRaiseNow subscription object.
Cancelling a subscription will have the following effects in Salesforce. If the cancellation is initiated in Salesforce the change will be automatically propagated to RaiseNow. If you have configured email notifications via RaiseNow, the donor will be informed via email about the cancellation.
The Open Ended Status for the recurring donation in Salesforce will be marked as "Closed"
The opportunities will be marked as lost
The RaseNow subscription object will be marked as "inactive" in RaiseNow