In order to be able to test PayPal, using the Test Mode, third party authentication or the REST API credentials are not sufficient; a PayPal Sandbox Business Account must also be created. Once your organisation has created a Sandbox Business Account, we can test the payment for you.
Do you want to test it yourself? Then you'll need a Sandbox Personal (buyer) Account.
(Yes, we agree ... it is rather complicated!)
Here's a step-by-step guide:
Sandbox Business Account
- Go to www.paypal.com and log in to your PayPal Business Account
- Go to developer.paypal.com
- On the top right, click "Dashboard" and then click "Sandbox Accounts” in the sidebar
- Click "Create Account"
- Select your country and choose "Business (Merchant Account)" as your account type. Enter your email address and password. First and last name: you can leave these blank.
- In the section "Payment Methods" enter an amount that you would like to use for the test donation. Please select a high amount to execute several transactions. Select "Yes" at "Bank Verified Account" and choose "Visa" as the credit card. Finally, click "Create Account".
- If you are now on the "Sandbox Test Account" page, click on the small triangle next to the account you just created and select "Profiles".
- In the pop-up window, select "API Credentials" and enter the Username, Password and Signature.
Once we have these credentials, we can test PayPal as a means of payment for you. If you want to test PayPal with your business account, you also need a Sandbox Personal (Buyer) Account.
Sandbox Personal (Buyer) Account
Follow the instructions above, but select the Personal Account instead of Business Account. Then you can use these credentials to test PayPal as a means of payment.
Questions? Please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org